The Best Antivirus for Linux in 2022
Did you know your Linux machine is more open to attacks than other, more closed ecosystems? Here we have listed the best antivirus for Linux in 2019 you should download to protect your Linux System.
When you are using the internet or connecting your computer with other drives and hardware units, then it doesn’t matter which operating system you are using, you are exposed to the multiple threats. There’s no doubt that Linux is one of the secured and efficiently operating system, but still, there are possibilities that it can get infected with the viruses, malware, etc., To make the Linux operating system secure, you can use some of the best antiviruses for Linux and ensure the safety of your device.
All computer systems can suffer from malware and viruses, including those running Linux-based operating systems. However, the number of critical threats to Linux-based operating systems is still way lower than threats for Windows or OS X.
Best Antivirus Program for Linux
There are plenty of different antivirus programs for the Linux users available in the market, but the best antivirus suggestions as per the survey conducted by the high-quality tools and professionals, these following antivirus programs are simply the best for Linux user.
It is the best and most recommend antivirus software for the Linux community. This is open-source software that’s why it is completely free to use. It is a versatile antivirus program that can detect and remove – trojans, malware, viruses and much more. The app also supports the mail gateway scanning. This is the easiest to use and fast to work with an antivirus program on Linux because it doesn’t have native GUI and can operate through the terminal.
- It is free and open-source
- Available for multiple other platforms like Windows and macOS
- It works from the terminal
- Support mailing scan
- POSIX compliant support
- It is highly portable
The weird name of the antivirus software will automatically tell you that this tool works the best with roots. So, if you looking for the antivirus program that can work the best with rootkit in the Linux system, then you have to use Chkrootkit. You can easily use this lightweight and portable program on your computer. This software can be easily shared or transferred by quickly burning to CD or USB. This software can also host multiple users at the same time.
- It comes with rootkit detection
- Very lightweight
- Highly portable
- Super simple to use
- Lightning fast
- Can run from terminal
- It can detect and solve multiple errors
Comodo is also one of the best antivirus program options for Linux users to secure their systems. The most prominent features of the app are its uniquely designed architecture and cross-platform support. The tool also offers the email scanning feature with the additional antivirus protection system that you won’t find in any other software. This tool supports windows firewall feature with 32 bit and 64-bit architecture. It is highly popular among the Linux users because it offers support for distros. The best of this software is it also works on the server-side like Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server, OpenSUSE, and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server.
- It is a free tool
- Very easy to install and set up
- It has on-demand scanning with no false alert record
- Offers a real-time protection
- It has antispam support to offer as well
- Available for multiple platforms including Windows and Android
- It has to offer server-side protection too
This is the next generation antivirus software for Linux users. In the Linux community, you will find lots of recommendations for BitDefender as it has performed excellent work among the Linux antivirus community. However, being the most trusted software of the Linux community, it is not all a free tool. You can download the free trial of the software for a few days, but to get the complete package you have to pay a small price. Apart from not being free, it is one of the best Linux antivirus software.
- It can scan archives
- Comes with desktop integration
- It’s GUI also supports the command line interface
- It has quarantine infected files which can protect the directory
Rootkit Hunter is another best option for the rootkit. It works on command and uses backdoor and other local exploits to detect all kind of virus, trojans. A rootkit is developed on Bourne shell with an SHA-1 hash comparison for better service with portability feature. This particular software is available for different distros
- Rootkit detection
- Works from command line
- Fast and easy to use
- Supports SHA-1 comparison to detect malicious entry
If you are looking for the best and free antivirus program for your Linux computer, then you can try Sophos. It comes with the on-demand scanning support along with the real-time scanning feature. This software will not only prevent Linux base fro malware but will also get along fine on with all major operating systems like Windows, Android, etc., This tool can easily detect worms and trojans from your system and clean your repository also. Moreover, if you love to create codes, then this app offers you terminal to create codes also.
- It is free
- Got Terminal base
- Remove worms, Trojans, viruses, and malware
- It is a lightweight app with simple installation setup
- Available for various platforms
- It can remove not Linux threats too
F-Prot is another well-renowned antivirus for Linux. This particular Linux antivirus can be used at home or industrial level. It supports 32 and 64bit software architecture as a Linux antivirus software. It scans over 2119958 known viruses and their other possible variants. This Linux antivirus software is portable and performs schedule scanning using cron technology.IT can detect different types of infections trojan even boot sectors.
- Free and portable
- Detects more than 21 million threats and their other variants
- Can run on different software architecture
- Scanning feature for internal drive and drivers
- Scan for boot sector virus, macro, and trojan viruses
Here, you go with the list of the best antivirus for Linux in 2020 that you should download to protect your Linux System. It is always to stay safe, then sorry so don’t forget to download an antivirus software if you don’t want to feel sorry later on.
- Laptop buying guide (What factors to consider when Buying a new Laptop)
- What is Android? Introduction of Android OS its Features & Applications
- What are the Differences Between Open Source and Closed Source (Software/Operating system)
- How to back up your Linux PC with BackInTime
- 10 Useful tips to secure Linux server (improve the security of Linux server)
- What is the Linux File System? Unix / Linux File System Basics explained