On windows 10 there are plenty of apps run on the background to take advantage of additional features such as the ability to download data, update live tiles show notification and more. Although these features can be useful, but these apps running on background consume extra system resources, drain the battery, waste bandwidth. And disable background apps running on Windows 10 not only save battery, data usage, and (some) system resources, also optimize the system performance. Here this post we have 3 different ways to Stop Windows 10 Apps from Running in the Background.
Disable background apps windows 10
Note: Disabling the background apps doesn’t stop the actual apps from working. You can still launch and use them. This will only prevent these apps from downloading data, using CPU/RAM and consuming battery while you are not using them.
Turn off background app using privacy settings
- Press Win key & X shortcut. Here select Settings from the list.
- Privacy category.
- On the left column, scroll down the cursor and tap Background apps.
- Here Under the “Choose which apps can run in the background” section, turn off the toggle switch for the apps you want to restrict.
- Also under the “Background Apps” section, you can turn off the Let apps in the background toggle switch to prevent any app from running in the background toggle switch.
- That’s all The item disabled above won’t run again in the background until commanded otherwise.
Note: you can still use the apps normally, but when you close them, all the processes will be terminated until you launch the app again.
Turn on Battery saver mode (Laptop users only)
- If you are a laptop user, then you can prevent apps from running in the background enabling the Battery Saver mode.
- Open Settings, then Click on System.
- Click on Battery, here Under the “Battery saver” section, turn off the Battery saver status until next charge toggle switch.
- After completing the steps, none of your apps will be allowed to run in the background while the feature is enabled.
Disable the app using Registry editor
Also you can tweak on windows registry editor to disable background running apps on your system. here follow steps below.
- Press Windows + R, type regedit and ok to open windows registry editor,
- Backup registry database, then navigate to the path written below.
- Create a new DWORD (32-bit) value here with name Default and set its value to 1.
- Similarly, create another DWORD (32-bit) value with name Migrated and change its value to 4.
- Lastly, close Registry Editor and reboot your system.
- This process will disable all apps running at the background only for the individual user.
Disable background apps windows 10 group policy
you can also apply group policy to to prevent the Windows App running in the back ground. Here is the procedure
- Press Windows + R, type gredit.msc and ok to open local group policy editor,
- Explore the Computer Configuration → Administrative Templates → Windows Components → App Privacy.
- Scroll down the cursor and locate the name “Let Windows apps run in the background” and double-click on the same.
- Now hit on the Enabled radio button followed by Default for all users using drop down menu.
- Here select Force Deny then Apply and OK to save the changes.
- The selected apps won’t run in the background anymore.
- Restart Windows to take effect the changes.
If you’re looking to stop classic applications from using background resources, you need to close the program manually and stop the programs from running startup.