Gboard or Google Keyboard Offer features like Glide typing allow you to type faster by sliding the finger from letter to letter, voice typing if your hands are busy with something else, Emoji search, etc. We can say Gboard is the best touch and type keyboards available for Android smartphones. But some uses report, Google Keyboard has stopped auto correcting words and showing predictions after Android – 11.0 upgrade. The keyboard does work correctly in hangouts and my messaging apps. Google keyboard suggestion bar would not suggest anything. If you are also struggling with this problem, here some solutions to fix Gboard Not Working Issues on Android.
Gboard not showing suggestions
Click on the power button and select reboot to restart your Android phone. This will fix the problem if any temporary glitch is causing the problem.
Cache allows your apps to respond and work faster by storing data and programs it uses frequently on the local machine. Sometimes, new updates are rolled out but your app is guilty of still using the cache memory, resulting in conflicts and app crash. I’d suggest you clear the cache and data of the Gboard app and see if that makes a difference.
To clear the cache and data of the Gboard
- go to device Settings and click on Apps >
- Scroll down and look for and select Gboard App
- Select Storage
- Click on Clear Cache and then tap on Clear All Data.
This will clear the Cache data for the Gboard app, now check Google keyboard suggestions and predictions working properly.
Select Gboard as Default Keyboard
Also, check and make sure you have selected Gboard as the default keyboard on Android.
- Go to Settings and tap on Language and Input.
- If not Settings > Additional Settings > Language and Input.
- Under Input Methods, tap on the Current Keyboard and select Gboard.
- If one of the features of Gboard is not working for you, then go to Language and Input and tap on Virtual Keyboard.
- Select Gboard and go through the settings.
- Enable if any of the features you want is disabled.
Force Stop Gboard App
- Go to Settings and tap on Apps/Installed Apps.
- Scroll down and locate Gboard.
- Tap to open Gboard App Info.
- At the bottom of the info page, tap on the Force Stop button.
- Tap on OK to confirm.
- The Force Stop button will be grayed out, which means the app is not running.
- The app will restart when you use the Gboard next time.
- Check if this fixes the problem for you.
Uninstall / Install Updates
The new updates bring bug fixes, security updates, new features etc. However, when you update the app, the latest update may break it, leaving it unusable or unresponsive. You can fix this by uninstalling the updates for the app.
- Go to Settings and tap on Apps / Installed Apps.
- Locate Gbaord service and open it.
- Tap on the Uninstall Updates button from the bottom of the screen.
- Tap on OK to confirm.
If you can’t find the Uninstall Updates option, tap on three dots (top right) and select Uninstall updates.
If you are using the older version of the Gboard app and an update available, you should update the app to the latest available version. The latest updates can fix a lot of bugs in the app.
To update the app, open Google Play Store and search for Gboard.
- Open Gboard from the search.
- If an update is available for the app, the Update button will be shown.
- Tap on the Update button to download the update.
Uninstall and ReInstall Gboard
If updating and uninstalling the updates did not fix the Gboard not working issue, then try uninstalling and reinstalling the app may fix the problem for you.
- Open the Google Play Store and search for Gboard.
- Select the Gboard app and tap on the Uninstall button.
- After the app is uninstalled, search for Gboard and Install the app again.
Boot Into Safe Mode
Like windows, android phones also have a Safe Mode option where the device starts with basic settings making sure that no third-party app is running on the device. This allows you to analyze the device for any critical problem caused by a third-party app.
- To start the Phone in Safe Mode, press and hold the power button to turn off the phone.
- Now press and hold the Power button to turn it on.
- As soon as the phone vibrates, start tapping on the fingerprint reader at the back of the phone until you see the Safe Mode appear on the bottom left of the phone’s screen.
- Once you are in Safe Mode, try to use the Gboard app and see if it works.
- If the app is working then one of the third-party app installed on your phone causes the issue.
- Reboot the phone to get out of the Safe Mode and uninstall any of the recently installed apps.
- Also, uninstall any other keyboard apps on your phone.
Reset to Factory Settings
And the only way left to fix the problem is reset to factory settings, but it should only be done when necessary. That factory reset erases all the data from your phone and clean wipes it. We recommended to take full backup of your data on the phone and then proceed with Factory Reset.
To factory reset your phone,
- go to Settings > Backup and Reset.
- Or Settings > Additional Settings > Backup and Reset.
- Tap on Factory Data Reset > Reset Phone.
- Confirm the Factory Reset by entering passcode or lock pattern.
- The phone will now reset and restart automatically.
Did these solutions help to fix Gboard not showing suggestions or google keyboard not working on android devices? Let us know on comments below, also read: