WordPress is an awesome content management system which has turned around the method of web designing industry. Today, 36% of the website’s presence on the internet is operating over WordPress. It is a simple tool to design a website, but without installing WordPress on localhost on your computer, you cannot enjoy all the features of WordPress. Here this post we have steps to Install WordPress on localhost using XAMPP.
How to Install WordPress on LocalHost?
The process of installing WordPress on the localhost is a pretty simple task. But, you cannot directly install WordPress on your computer system, you have to first create the environment to install WordPress. You just have to follow three simple steps to download WordPress set up –
- Create the environment for WordPress
- Download WordPress from its official website link
- Install the setup
These three steps can be easily achieved without any technical knowledge. You just have to follow each step carefully without missing out any step if you want to install WordPress without any problem.
Download local server software
To create the WordPress installation environment, you have to first download the local server software. You should download the local server software which can easily perform across the different operating systems. There are multiple local server software is available in the market, but for this particular topic, we recommend you to use software which is written in PHP so you can easily create downloading environment according to your operating system. You can use the development environment of your choice according to your OS (whether it is Windows, macOS or Linux).
What is the best localhost server?
Here some of most popular localhost service providers.
- WAMP (WAMP stands for Windows – MySQL – Apache -PHP)
- MAMP (MAMP Stands for Mac OS X – MySQL – Apache – PHP)
- LAMP (LAMP stands for Linux- MySQL – Apache – PHP)
- XAMPP (XAMPP stands for Cross Platform (all) – MySQL – Apache – PHP)
Note: XAMPP is better than WAMP, MAMP, LAMP because it’s compatible with all the available operating systems like Windows, OS-X, and Linux
Simply go to the XAMPP’s official website. Select your operating system and click on the download button.
Run your software
Once you have downloaded the local server software to create the WordPress installation environment, then the next step is to run the software on your computer system. By running the software on your system, you will get to know the multiple features of the software and helps you in understanding the way of using it.
If you’re planning to install a WordPress site with XAMPP, you only need Apache, MySQL, PHP, and phpMyAdmin.
- You may be presented with a Windows Security Alert at the end of the installation. You need to whitelist Apache HTTP Server from your Windows Defender Firewall by clicking the Allow access button. Make sure to check the “Private networks, such as my home or work network” option. This is very important. XAMPP won’t work if you don’t check this and click Allow access.
- Some antivirus or firewall programs can cause issues with your XAMPP installation. If that’s the case, it’s suggested that you deactivate them temporarily until XAMPP is installed successfully.
Now Open XAMPP control panel and start the Apache and MySQL server. Without starting both of them, you can’t get access to PHPMyAdmin.
Note: If you get any error such as “Apache shutdown unexpectedly” that cause open services.msc look for Word Wide Web Publishing Service and disable it
This is the main step where you have to download the WordPress files on your system from the official website. Y
- Go to the WordPress official website,
- Click on Get WordPress button from the top right side.
- You will be redirected to a new page.
- Now hit on Download WordPress button.
- The download process might take a few moments to begin. Y
- you will get a zip file. Unzip the file and copy that for your next uses.
Create a Database
Now, you need to create a database for your WordPress website to save its data on your system. It is a very important step so need to be completed very carefully. Also, after creating the database make sure to remember the name of the database file because you need to remember it to access your WordPress data later on.
To create the database, you have to follow the small step of instructions –
- Go to your local disk, where you saved the downloaded XAMPP file.
- Select the htdocs folder and paste the WordPress latest version you have copied earlier.
Note: Here you can either rename WordPress as per your need such as “zillowtechtest” or leave it as it is.
- Now, open a new tab on your browser and go to localhost/phpmyadmin
- Select Database
- Write the same name you have written on your local disk.
- And finally, click on the Create button. Your database will be created within a few seconds.
Okay, so you are almost done, just need to perform few last things before your WordPress installation process will complete. Type localhost/WordPress (name of your WordPress file in the htdocs) on your browser’s address bar and hit enter. Now perform a few more actions to complete the installation.
For me, the URL is localhost/zillowtechtest
The steps you have to perform are going to be-
- Select language and click “Continue”.
- On the next page, you have to enter the database name which you have created before.
- You have to provide the username and password as well. (or leave the password blank)
- After submitting this information, you need to run the installation process.
- You have to enter the information such as title, username, password, and email address, and then start the installation process.
Okay, so after following all the seven steps carefully, you will be able to install WordPress on local host without any difficulty. You have to process every step as it is described in the above mentioned.
If you don’t follow the above-given instructions carefully, then you might have some problems while setting up your WordPress and you won’t be able to run it smoothly.
We can hope that you can easily install your WordPress website without any hassle, but if you face any problem while following the steps, then you can mention your problem in the below-given comment box and we will shortly address your problem and provide you one concrete solution. Also read:
- Ultimate WordPress tutorial for Beginners September 2019 !
- 7 Different Ways to Speed Up WordPress Website Performance
- How to install WordPress on Cpanel (Step by Step Guide 2019)
- WordPress 5.2 available with Site Health check and PHP error protection
- A Complete Guide to Understand WordPress robots.txt file