If you are going to purchase a new mobile phone, then you have to make one major decision whether you want an Android or iOS-based mobile phone. Android and iOS are two prominent operating systems for smartphones today. This software has revamped the smartphone industry completely. Today, where Android devices are dominating the Asian market, similarly, the western end is handled by iOS-based gadgets. So, when you are going to get a new smartphone, then it becomes very important to understand the difference between iOS vs Android.
The iOS is the operating system developed by Apple Inc for mobile devices and that used in many of the mobile devices for Apple such as iPhone, iPod, iPad etc.
The Android operating system developed by Google for mobile systems. It is based on the Linux kernel and mainly designed for touchscreen devices such as tablets and smartphones.
Difference Between iOS and Android
This comparison between both the leading mobile operating systems has been crafted on some major pointers. Like –
iOS vs Android User Interface
Both operating systems are touch-based and have lots of similarities in the interface department like swiping, tapping, etc., However, the home screen display is quite different here as in iOS home screen only contains app icons. But, in Android, it contains apps, widgets with different themes to customize the screen. The status bar is available on both iOS and Android with basic information like WiFi, time, cell signal, battery life, etc.,
iOS vs Android Apps
Android users can download all the latest apps from the Google Play Store where various apps of different categories available. However, for some Android devices like Kindle fire separate app store is available with a smaller collection of apps. Today, several exclusive iOS-only apps are also available for Android users.
If we talk about the Apple App Store, then it is a very wide market with a variety of different apps for iPhones and iPads. Most of the developers prefer to launch their apps on iOS before Android. So, when we compare iOS and Android apps, then we found them quite the same. Apart from the one fact that iOS iPads have more app options available as compared to Android tablets. But, android developers are working very hard on this limitation.
iOS vs Android Speed
When we are drawing a comparison on the grounds of speed, then iOS is winning the game. If you put the same time launched iOS and Android devices, then you will note that the iOS device opens the same apps at a faster rate as compared to android. However, this also depends on the app developers because using the same app on different platforms doesn’t mean that they have some internal system. But, we can’t deny that Apple works more on performance than Android developers.
iOS vs Android Updates
However, Google shares regular updates with their users, but there are multiple cases recorded where some users don’t receive updates or they bought out of day software. It decided by phone manufacturers when to offer software updates. Some manufacturers don’t offer the latest Android updates to their all products even when the upgrade is already available.
This is the section where iOS users have an immersive advantage as iOS updates are available all the devices. However, older versions of iOS devices like iPhone 5, 4, etc., won’t be able to enjoy all the latest features. But, when you purchase the new iOS device, then you will get the latest software on it.
iOS vs Android Device Selection
Today, in the market-wide range of android based smartphones are present with a diverse price range, size, hardware, and other variations.
On the contrary, iOS is only available on the devices designed by Apple like iPhones, iPads or iPod touch. These devices are highly exclusive and available in certain sizes and hardware capabilities. Moreover, the price range of these devices is high as compared to Android devices.
iOS vs Android Calling
Android allows the user to send one of several self-composed texts as auto-replies when declining a call.
Whereas the iOS phone app has multiple features like the ability to reply text while on phone call or to set a callback reminder. It also has a special Do Not Disturb mode when you don’t want to attend any calls.
iOS vs Android Messaging
Android has designed special GTalk for instant messaging facilities. However, iOS hasn’t designed any special messaging services for non iOS users. iOS users can use special iMessage service to send text messages to other iOS users, but to interact with non-Apple users, they can even download Google GTalk and Microsoft Skype.
iOS vs Android Video Chat
For video calling, Android users can use apps like Google Hangouts or Google Duo that allows users to chat on cellular data or Wifi networks. For iOS users, FaceTime is available to do video calls. But, this is only available for calling between Apple users only.
iOS vs Android Voice Assistance
Siri the popular voice assistants app for iOS users that respond well to dictation and spoken commands. Siri is loaded with multiple features like it will read your sports scores, make hotel reservations for you, book movie tickets and much more. Android devices also have a similar option called Google Home, but it isn’t that compatible as Siri.
Similarities Between iOS and Android
Some of the similarities between iOS and Android are as follows:
- The basic functions in iOS and Android are alike. Both iOS and Android phones have calling, messaging, web browsing, video chat, maps, voice commands etc.
- The user interfaces of iOS and Android have a lot of similarities. Both of this support swiping, tapping, pinch and zoom etc on their phone screens.
- There is a status bar on both the iOS and Android devices and it offers similar information such as battery life, time, app notifications, wifi etc.
- 4G cellular network can be enjoyed on both iOS and Android devices. This is very important as cellular network is crucial for internet surfing.
- Privacy settings are paramount in both iOS and Android. Users are presented with app permissions as this lessens the risk of data leakage.
Differences Between iOS and Android
Some of the differences between iOS and Android are as follows:
- iOS is a closed system whereas Android is more open. Users have barely any system permissions in iOS but in Android, users can customize their phones easily.
- Android software is available for many manufacturers such as Samsung, LG etc. and this may lead to some quality problems in the cheaper phones. However, iOS is strictly controlled by Apple and there is no quality problem as there are few models.
- The Android applications are obtained from Google Play while iOS applications are available in the Apple app store.
- Integration with other devices is better in Apple iOS as compared to Google Android.
- There are different voice assistants for iOS and Android namely Siri and Google Assistant. Google Assistant is much more powerful than Siri.
- The running speed of iOS devices remains consistent with time. In contrast to this, the performance of Android devices may decline over time.
Well, Comparison Between iOS vs Android can go on and on because they are two ore rival operating systems with the same ideology, but a different approach. Now, it depends upon the user’s preferences to select the right device for themselves after comparing both iOS and Android.
- What is Android? Introduction of Android OS its Features & Applications
- WordPress vs. Website Builders: Which Option is Better? (Explained 2021)
- 10 tips to make your Android phone super fast without root
- What are some best free and useful Android apps in 2021?
- The Best Free and useful iPhone Apps for 2021