Apple Inc designed and Developed Face ID a facial recognition system for iPhone and iPad pro that allows biometric authentication for unlocking a device, making payments, and accessing sensitive data. Such as you can authenticate and pay for goods and services on the iPhone X, including Apple Pay, App Store and iTunes purchases etc. But recent after iOS upgrade a number of users report Face ID Not Working Properly. Getting error message “Face ID is not available” While trying to unlock the device using Face ID.
There is a various reason that causes Face ID not working properly on iPhone.
- It might not work if you just switched on the device or restarted it.
- Since 48hours if you haven’t unlocked the iPhone X.
- After 6 1/2 days if you are given a 4 hours time and if you do not unlock with Face id in those 4 hours, a passcode is generated once you try unlocking.
- If remote command is received by you on your iPhone X.
- If your face doesn’t match 5 times.
- Once you power off or click emergency SOS by holding and pressing the volume control and side button instantaneously for 2 seconds.
- If you iPhone X charge is 10% or below.
Here some handy tricks that can let you fix Face ID issue on your iPhone X, Xs, Xs Max, XR or the iPad Pro.
How do you set up Face ID on iPhone XS and XR?
- Launch Settings from your Home screen.
- Tap Face ID & Passcode.
- Enter your Passcode.
- Tap Set Up Face ID.
- Tap Get Started.
- Position your face inside the circle.
- Move your head, slowly, in a circle.
- Tap Continue.
- Move your head, slowly, in a second circle.
- Tap Done.
Face ID Not Working
Here some basic steps you must check before performing any troubleshooting steps.
- You need to ensure that TrueDepth camera isn’t covered with a case or a screen protector. Also, make sure that no residue or dirt is covering the camera.
- Ensure that your eyes, nose, and mouth are fully visible to the TrueDepth camera.
- Face ID is designed to work with many sunglasses. However, if you are wearing the sunglass that blocks certain types of light, then you need to remove it.
- Be sure to keep your iPhone in portrait orientation when using Portrait Mode. On iPad Pro 2018, Face ID works in both landscape and portrait orientations.
- Keep your device at arm’s length or closer (10-20 inches) from your face.
- When you are outside in bright sunlight, make sure to reposition your iPhone so that sun isn’t directly behind you.
Check latest update may contain the bug fix
May with the latest update contains the bug fix, that causing Fact ID problems. Go to Settings > General > Software Update, and see if any updates are available. Should you find one, tap on it and iOS will do the rest.
Force Restart your iPhone
Press the Volume Up button and release, and then press the Volume down button and release. Finally, press and hold the side button until the Apple logo appears on iPhone screen.
Make sure the Face ID settings are correct
If this is the first time you’re using Face ID, or if you’ve recently updated your iPhone, then there’s a chance that the settings are not as they should be.
Go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode and then check to see if the feature is enabled and that all the options in the Use Face ID for section are turned on.
Turn Off/On Face ID
- Open Settings app on your iPhone X
- Face ID & Passcode, Enter your iPhone Passcode
- Under Use Face ID FOR section, turn off the switch next to each option.
- Note: If you use Face ID with third-party apps, tap on Other Apps and then turn off the switch next to each app.
- Restart Device and head over to Settings then Face ID & Passcode
- Here turn on the switch next to each option.
- Also, tap on Other Apps and then turn on the switch for each app.
- Now, try using Face ID again. It should work now.
Try setting up a new ID
If non-above solutions didn’t fix the problem try to create an additional profile for Face ID to use. To do this go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode > Set Up an Alternate Appearance.
Now you’ll need to move your head around slowly, as directed by the iPhone, while it scans your contours. After the first pass, tap Continue and repeat the process. When everything is finished, tap Done and see if you can now unlock the device.
Also, there is the option to clear out everything and start again.
Go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode > Reset Face ID.
This will blow away all the previous stored IDs, leaving you free to tap Set up Face ID and begin the process again. Hopefully, this time around, you’ll be able to use the feature without issue.
Did these solutions help to fix Face ID not working problem on iPhone? Let us know on comments below, Also Read
- Set Up New iPhone, (Transfer from old iPhone) Quick Start Guide
- 7 Common iPhone Problems and How to Fix Them 2019
- How to Turn on and use live listen with AirPods iOS 13