Mouse scroll not working on windows 10 (solved)
mouse scroll not working or mouse scroll up and down problem mostly occurs because of the outdated corrupt or missing driver. Again incorrectly configured scrolling settings also cause this problem as well. If you are also experiencing similar problem, Mouse Scroll Wheel Jumping or not working in Windows 10 apply the solutions listed below.
Mouse scroll not working Windows 10
- Before applying any troubleshooting steps first reboot your PC, This will fix the mouse scrolling problem if a temporary glitch causing the problem.
- Disconnect and reconnect the mouse to the different USB port
- If you have a wireless mouse then check with replacing its battery, because sometimes the scroll wheel behaves erratically once the battery is almost out.
- Is the mouse scrolling not working on a specific program? open different applications or programs and check if the mouse scrolling working as expected.
Perform Clean boot
Sometimes third-party software conflict with Windows can cause this mouse scroll problem. Perform a clean boot following the steps below that fix the mouse problem if third-party app conflict causing the issue.
- Press Windows key + R, type msconfig and click ok this will open the system configuration window,\
- Under the general tab, uncheck the box next to load startup items and load system services,
- Now go to the services tab, checkmark on hide all Microsoft services and then click on disable all,
- Click on apply then ok, reboot your PC it will start Windows 10 clean boot mode,
- Check if the mouse scroll problem is resolved.
Check mouse configuration settings
- Press Windows key + R, type control panel and click ok
- This will open the control panel window, Go to hardware and sound then select mouse under devices and printers,
- Now go to the wheel tab, under vertical scrolling make sure “The following number of lines at a time” is set to 5.
- Now go to pointer options, and uncheck Hide pointer while typing
- Save the changes by click on apply and ok and check whether the mouse scroll not working problem is solved or not.
Start HID service
- Press Windows key + R, type services.msc and clck ok,
- This will open Windows service console, scroll down to locate Human Interface Device (HID) service in the list and double-click on it to open its Properties window.
- Make sure the Startup type is set to Automatic and if the service is not running click on Start.
- Click Apply followed by OK.
- Reboot your PC to save changes and see if you’re able to resolve problems with mouse scrolling.
Reinstall mouse driver
Again an outdated, corrupted or missing mouse driver may also cause scroll not working or mouse scroll wheel to jump. Reinstalling the mouse driver is probably a good solution for you.
- Press the windows key + x to select the device manager,
- This will open and display all installed device driver list, locate and expand Mice and other pointing devices,
- Right-click on your mouse driver and click Uninstall device.
- Now reboot your computer, Windows will automatically install the default mouse driver for your device,
- If the computer didn’t install the driver then you have to install the driver yourself.
- To do this again open the device manager, click on “Action” then click on “Scan for hardware changes“.
- This will find and install the right driver for Windows 10.
- In addition, you can download and install the right driver from device manufacturer’s site as well.
Install latest Windows update
Microsoft regularly release Windows updates with security improvements and bug fixes. Installing latest Windows update may have the bug fix for the mouse scroll not working on Windows 10.
- Press Windows key + I to open settings,
- Go to update and security the hit check for updates button
- This will check for and download and install latest Windows updates on your device,
- You need to restart your computer to apply the changes
Reinstall Touchpad (Synaptics) software
If you are a laptop user, experiencing mouse scroll not working then Reinstall the Touchpad (Synaptics) software following steps below and check if this helps.
- Press Windows key + R, type appwiz.cpl and click ok,
- This will open programs and features window,
- Scroll down to find the touchpad application and double-click on it to initialize the uninstallation process.
- Reboot your computer, now visit the touchpad manufacturer and download the latest touchpad driver available.
- Install the latest touchpad driver and after installing the driver, reboot your computer
There are chances that corrupted system files may cause mouse scroll not work. Run system file checker utility that help replace corrupt system files with correct one.
In addition, If you are using a laptop, you should consider disabling the touchpad and using an external mouse since the touchpad is too sensitive to cause the mouse wheel jumping problem.
Did these solutions help fix the mouse scroll not working on Windows 10? Let us know on the comments below.