One of the important thing that every laptop user want from his or her laptop is long-lasting battery life. It is always annoying to charge your laptop after every other hour, especially when you are nowhere near a charging port. The battery exhaustion level mainly depends upon the usage and the features activated on the laptop. However, if you are feeling that recently your windows 10 laptop’s battery drains more quickly, then you can use some simple tips to improve battery life in Windows 10 laptop so that you can use your same laptop for a long time.
- 1 How to increase the battery life of the laptop
How to increase the battery life of the laptop
Basically, the default settings of Windows 10 are designed to deliver the best performance event optimized battery life. But if you are constantly working from your laptop or notice the battery draining very fast on your Old or New Laptop that causes you can reduce the screen brightness, disable background apps, close battery-draining programs, reduce the speaker volume, disconnect USB devices, turn off Wi-Fi when not using, turn off the fluent design, and tweak many other settings to get the best possible battery life. Let’s see how to reduce battery draining issues or improve battery life on Windows 10 laptops.
These tips not only increase battery life of laptop but also optimize the Windows 10 performance as well.
Check what causing battery drainage
Before tweaking any settings let’s first check and understand the apps and processes that might be using too much power as well as recommendations about settings to increase battery life.
- First, go to Settings using the keyboard shortcut Windows + I
- Click System then Battery
- Next click See which apps are affecting your battery life.
- Here, you can see which apps have used the most battery resources over the past week or the last 6 or 24 hours.
Also, run the PowerCfg command utility that scans your laptop for 60 seconds to know the power efficiency of your system and tracks all the issues that are draining the battery life.
- Open the command prompt as administrator,
- Type command, powercfg/energy and hit the enter key,
- This will monitor your PC usage for 60 seconds and generate a detailed HTML report which you can check for errors. The location of the HTML file is provided at the end, move to it to access the report.
Reduce screen brightness down
Most of the time the brightness of your screen is the big battery sucker that drains the battery percentage quickly. And turning down the screen brightness level not only save battery drainage but also you feel more comfortable computing experience to your eyes.
- Go to Settings using the keyboard shortcut Windows + I,
- Click on System then Display
- Here turn off Change brightness automatically when lighting changes
- Then use the slider to set the brightness level you want.
Enable Battery Saver Mode
Windows 10 includes battery saver mode, enabling this option turn off the power-hungry background processes such as email and calendar syncing, live tile updates, push notifications, and prevent apps from running in the background helps you get a few more minutes to our of your battery.
- You can easily turn it from the Action Center or open Settings > System > Battery.
- Well If you want the battery saver to turn on whenever the battery falls below a certain level, that cause you need to checkmark Turn battery saver on automatically if my battery falls below: and set it where you’d like.
- To turn on the battery saver now and leave it on until the next time you plug in your PC, turn on the Battery saver status until the next charge.
Turn off keyboard backlights
Like the display, keyboard backlighting also drains your laptop’s battery. Turn them off when they aren’t needed. Your laptop likely has a Function key that lets you toggle the keyboard backlights on and off. If not, you’ll find a control for it in the Windows Mobility Center.
Turn on Adaptive Brightness
Like smartphones, Windows 10 also comes with an adaptive brightness feature, and enabling this feature is another effective way to improve Windows 10 battery life.
With Adaptive brightness features enabled, your system will automatically dim the screen in dark and set the brightness to provide you the best vision.
- Open the Control panel,
- Search for and select power options,
- Click on change plan settings then click Change advanced power settings,
- Now Expand Display then expand Enable Adaptive Brightness.
- And turn on Adaptive Brightness for On-battery and Plugged in options (whichever you like. Click Ok to save the settings.
Note: This feature will only work if your Laptop has the ambient light sensor installed.
Adjust power and sleep settings
Again leave your laptop idle is a waste of battery, so make sure you’ve got the best screen and sleep options set up.
- Open settings app using Windows + I keyboard shortcut,
- Click on System then power & sleep
- Here, you can adjust how long your PC should wait before the display turns off or your laptop goes into sleep mode when it’s running on battery power.
- Select a suitable time that you’re comfortable with from each drop-down box.
Pro Tip: The shorter you set these times, the longer your battery will last.
Turn off wireless signals
Wireless signals such as WiFi or Bluetooth eat a lot of battery power as they require dedicated hardware components to run continuously. Simply switching to the wired connection can help conserve power. And you can easily control them from settings -> network & Internet -> Airplane mode.
Disable background apps
Many of the Windows 10 native apps run in the background to keep the information updated. But they also drain the battery, even if you don’t use them. And stop these apps from running background help you reduce the battery drainage.
- Open Start Menu, click on Settings and then go to Privacy.
- Move to the Background Apps section and you’ll see all the background apps in the right panel. Just switch off the ones you don’t need.
There are a few more factors that can help you to improve battery life such as you should not use so many peripherals when you are running on battery,
keeping system volume muted or on the lower level when you are not playing any music or video.
Again Constantly checking for new email messages can drain your battery. Reduce the email sync time every 30 minutes, hourly or manually is another effective way to save battery life.
So, these small tips can help to enhance battery life on Windows 10 thus you can have a better computing experience.
- Laptop buying guide (What factors to consider when buying a new Laptop)
- How to Reset and reinstall mail app on windows 10
- Remote desktop connection not working after windows 10 upgrade? Here how to fix
- Windows Spotlight not working after Windows 10 update
- Here is how to take care of iPhone 14 battery (5 important tips to save battery drain issue)