The Latest iOS 14 is officially out now for compatible iPhone and iPad touch models with dark mode, a new Photos app and more. This time thebrings plenty of new features, including a , a new a re you excited to install iOS 14 on your iPhone or iPad? We too. Well if you intend on updating right away you might want to take a few moments ahead of time to prepare for the iOS 14 software update. Here in this post we have steps to help you Prepare Your iPhone for successful iOS 14 update.
How to Prepare for iOS 14 Update on iPhone & iPad
Here We’ll walk through a few helpful tips “From confirming device compatibility to performing some basic cleanup and maintenance,” to get your iOS device ready for install latest iOS 14 update from Apple.
Check iOS 14 Compatibility
The very first thing you have to check the iOS 14 compatible devices list to make sure your particular iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch supports the new operating system. Well, the good news is that there is a long list of devices (Include the newly launched iPhone 12) compatible with iOS 14.
- iPhones with iOS 14 support: iPhone 12 series, iPhone 11, iPhone 11pro, iPhone 11pro, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XS, iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE
- iPads with iOS 14 support: iPad Pro 12.9″ 1st and 2nd generations,iPad Pro 11″ iPad Pro 10.5″, iPad Pro 9.7″, iPad 5th and 6th generation, iPad Mini (5th generation), iPad Mini 4, iPad Air (3rd generation), iPad Air 2.
- iPods with iOS 14 support: iPod Touch 7th Generation
Note the iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 pro max will come with iOS 14 preinstalled, so there is no need to update those devices unless a smaller point release is available for them (like iOS 14.0.1 etc).
Well, iPhone 5S (and older), iPhone 6/6 Plus, iPad Mini 2, iPad Mini 3, iPad Air (2013) won’t be compatible with the new iOS update. That means these devices not receive the latest iOS 14 update.
ios 14 supported devices
The good news is that iOS 14 aims to boost performance of older iPhone and iPad hardware, so if you have a device currently running iOS 12 or iOS 11 that feels sluggish, updating to iOS 14 may improve the performance on that device.
Backup Everything Using iCloud or iTunes
So your iOS device on iOS 14 compatible device list, great. Let’s back up your iOS device before new software (iOs 14) takes place. This is the most important steps as Having fresh backups allow you to recover quickly if something goes wrong. You can use the iCloud or iTunes backup solution provided by apple only to backup your iOS devices. (Use iCloud or iTunes, it’s totally up to you.)
Back up iPhone or iPad using iCloud
- Connect to a WiFi network first.
- Open the Settings app on iOS device,
- tap on the Apple ID section at the very top.
- Now tap on the ‘iCloud’ section, scroll down a little and tap on ‘iCloud Backup.
- finally, you want to select to “Back Up Now”.
Make and complete the iCloud backup right before installing iOS 14, so that your data is freshly saved and backed up. This includes all your contacts, photos, notes, movies, apps, all personal data, and customizations to the device.
Back up iPhone or iPad using iTunes
You can also backup to iTunes on a Mac or Windows PC.
- Connect your iPhone to your PC or Mac using a Lightning cable,
- Wait for your device to show up in iTunes.
- Now click on the tiny little iPhone-like icon on the top left hand corner,
- then in the backup section select ‘This Computer’ then choose to start the backup right away.
To be thorough, you can backup to both iCloud and iTunes, there’s nothing wrong with backup redundancy and many would consider that prudent.
Free up Storage Space for iOS 14 Installation
Also, you need minimum 3GB of storage available to install iOS 14 in the first place. Also, we recommend that you take things slightly overboard by freeing up at least 6GB of storage space. This will make sure that the update goes through as smoothly as possible. Well you can check your devices available storage capacity by going to Settings > General > iPhone Storage / iPad Storage.
Before you update to a major new iOS release, it’s often a good idea to tidy up your device, delete some long unused apps, and update your remaining apps.
Update Your Apps on iOS device
Also, it’s a good idea to update all iOS apps on the device so that they are new and more likely to be compatible with the latest iOS 14 release.
- Simply open the App Store,
- Then go to the Updates tab,
- Here choose “Update All”
Also Go through the Software Update utility from time to time on your PC or Mac to make sure that you are running the latest version of iTunes. There is a possibility that Apple might release an update this Thursday.
Its Time to Install iOS 14
Once you have completed the above tasks, you’re ready to install iOS 14. Well, the latest iOS 14 is a free software update for all compatible iPhones, iPad, and iPod touch, and you can download iOS 14 once it available on 16 September 2020.
If you have automatic updates on this may or may not happen at the time it releases it can take a few days so just go ahead and check your self if you want it right away.
Make sure you have enough batery life and the reason i say this is because maybe you are at work maybe you’r somewhere else and you want to update to iOS 14 you’ll need at least 50 percent if you dont have your charger with you so make sure that you have at least fifty percent battery life or you have your charager with you reaither one will work if you’re over fifty percent fine. If you’re not then you’ll need your charger
The simplest way to install the iOS 14 update is through the Settings app on the iPhone or iPad.
- Just open Settings,
- go to General, then choose Software Update.
- When iOS 14 is available, click to Download and Install.
- Now depending on your internet connection can determine how long it take s to actually download the update.
- Once the updates downloaded it can take anywhere from ten to thirty minutes to install.
- So just make sure you have that time available.
Bonus: Exiting Features on iOS 14
messages on iCloud
One of the most anticipated features “messages on icloud” you will finally see in the iOS 14 update. Well with this feature all your conversations of iMessage will be stored on your iCloud account. This will allow you to free up storage on your iDevice as well as keep your messages synced between your multiple devices. You will need to use 2-factor authentication in order to use this feature.
Systemwide Dark Mode
Finally, apple brings new systemwide Dark Mode option,, (the star feature of iOS 14) for iPhone which changes the entire look of the operating system from light to dark. According to Apple, or you can set it automatically to turn on at night through a schedule or custom time.
four new Animojis
iPhone X users will definitely like the four new Animojis with iOS 14 update. These new Animojis will be used in the iMessages app. The new additions include a dragon, skull, bear, and lion.
With iOS 14 Apple introduced Quickpath keyboard, which lets you swipe to type more quickly, similar to how Google’s Gboard works.
iOS 14 is super faster
Apple says Face ID unlocks 30 percent faster. Apps are going to be packaged differently, making app downloads 50 percent smaller and updates 60 percent smaller. This also helps apps launch up to twice as fast.
- iTunes not working? Here 8 solutions to fix Different iTunes errors
- Fix iPhone X Face ID Not Working After iOS 14 Update
- How to secure iOS devices from hackers (iOS security guide)
- Solved: Siri app suggestions not working after iOS 14 Upgrade!
- 5 Solutions to fix an Error Occurred Installing iOS 14 on iPhone/iPad