Everyone loves to start their blog on WordPress the No 1 content management system (CMS). It’s not only open source free to use but also offers a number of free themes, plugins for customization. Whenever you install any of the free WordPress themes you may notice on footer area displays the “Proudly powered by WordPress” link. Also, many theme developers change it and add their own credits. But there is no option for users to remove or change the “Proudly powered by WordPress” link on theme settings.
But if you’re building a site for a business or for your client, keeping the text “Proudly powered by WordPress” looks unprofessional. And changing it will benefit you, here this post How to Remove Powered by WordPress Footer Links in your theme.
Remove footer credit from WordPress theme
Note: WordPress is a free Content Management System released under GPL license. Any WordPress themes that you download from the WordPress directory are released under GPL license absolutely legal to remove footer credits link. And you have full rights to do what you want to do with your website.
Adding simple CSS code
You can easily remove Footer credit from WordPress theme by adding simple CSS code, here follow steps below.
- First of all login to WP dashboard,
- select Appearance then Customize,
- Move to Additional CSS at the bottom of the menu.
- And paste following CSS code there.
/*Remove Powered by WordPress Footer Links*/
- Login to your WordPress dashboard
- Scroll over ‘Appearance’ and then click on the ‘Editor’ menu
- Look for the Theme Footer file (footer.php) on the right side, and select it.
- Find the PHP code “get_template_part( ‘template-parts/footer/site’, ‘info’ );” and remove it
- Press the Update File button.
Some themes do not have the option to remove or modify footer credits from WordPress admin. At such instance, you can try the site-info.php code.
- Log in to the WordPress Dashboard.
- Click on Appearance >> Editor.
- Next, click on the Footer link to edit the site-info.php page.
- Now, Find the code that displays the footer text at the bottom.
- Remove the code and click the Update File button.
Now, your footer will show the text you placed in the site-info.php code.
Did this help to remove footer credit from the WordPress theme? Let us know on comments below, Also read:
- How to enable keep-alive in WordPress (speed up your website)
- 5 Effective Solutions to fix 500 Internal Server Error in WordPress
- Updated WordPress Ping List for Faster Indexing Of New Post
- Fix “Error Establishing A Database Connection” In WordPress
- How to install WordPress on cpanel (Step by Step Guide 2020)