Getting the RPC server is unavailable (0x800706ba) while connecting to the remote device, communicating between two or more devices through a network? The Remote Procedure Call (RPC) is a mechanism that allows Windows computers to communicate with one another, either between a client and server across a network or within a local network. And we can say RPC plays a vital role in managing devices remotely across a network and is used to share access to peripherals such as printers and scanners.
The Possible causes of the “RPC server unavailable” error may the RPC service on the server isn’t running, Errors resolving a DNS or NetBIOS name, Problems with network connectivity. Also, may a firewall or other security application on the server, or a network firewall appliance between the client and server may be preventing traffic from reaching the server and more.
RPC server is unavailable windows 10
If you do have antivirus software installed, temporarily disable it. And again try to reconnect to the client computer.
Also, use the ping command to test basic connectivity between the RPC client and server.
If the client and server are members of an Active Directory (AD) domain, DNS is used for name resolution. Verify that the client and server are both using the correct DNS servers, which must be inside the domain and will typically be domain controllers.
Open command prompt as administrator, type ipconfig /registerdns on the RPC server to re-register its DNS records.
Check RPC Service function properly
Sometimes “The RPC server is unavailable” problem can be caused by improper functioning of RPC service on every computer connected. We recommend to check and make sure RPC related Services Running properly.
- Press Windows + R, type services.msc and ok to open windows services console,
- Scroll down, and look for Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service,
- Right-click and select restart,
- Now, again right-click Remote Procedure Call and select Properties.
- Ensure its status is Running and their startup is set to Automatic.
- Click apply and ok,
- Do the same process for DCOM Server Process Launcher and RPC Endpoint Mapper service
Now connect to the remote device, check there is no more RPC server is unavailable (0x800706ba) error.
Configure the Firewall on your computer
As discussed before firewalls or any other security-related applications running on the system can block traffic from RPC requests. If you have a third-party firewall installed, try configuring it to allow incoming and outgoing connections for RPCs and other applications that you intend to use in RPCs. If you are using Windows Firewall configure it to allow incoming and outgoing connections for RPCs and other applications by following steps.
- Open Control panel
- Search for and select windows firewall,
- Then click Allow an app through Windows Firewall below Windows Firewall.
- Then Scroll down to find Remote Assistance.
- Ensure its communication is enabled (All the boxes of this item are ticked).
- Now ope group policy editor using gpedit.msc and click ok.
- Here on local group policy editor Navigate to the following path.
- Computer Configuration – Administrative Templates – Network – Network Connections – Windows Firewall.
- Open either Domain Profile or Standard Profile, depending on which profile you are using.
Enable the following exceptions:
- Allow Remote inbound Administration Exception
- Allow inbound File and Printer Sharing Exception.
Checking your Network Connection
Again Sometimes due to network connection interruption occurs RPC server is unavailable” Error.
- Right-click on the network connection you are using, and select Properties,
- Here make sure to enable the “Internet Protocols Version 6” and the “File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks.”
- If any of these items are missing from the local area connection’s properties, you’ll need to reinstall them.
Check Windows registry for RPC corruption
If perform all the above methods failed to fix the problem, Don’t Worry Lets Tweak windows registry to fix RPC server is unavailable error.
- Press Windows + R, type regedit and click ok,
- Backup registry database then Navigate to the following key.
- Here on the middle pane double click on start And change its value to 2.
Note: If there is any item that does not exist in the image below shows then we suggested to reinstall your Windows.
- Again Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\DcomLaunch.
- See if there is any item missing. If you found DCOM Server Process Launcher was not correctly set, double click on Start registry key to edit its value. Set its value data to 2.
- Now Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\RpcEptMapper. See if there is any item missing.
- If you previously found the setting of RPC Endpoint Mapper was not correct, double click on the Start registry key to edit its value. Again, set its value data to 2.
After that close Registry editor and Restart, windows to take effect the changes. Now on the next start check and try to connect the remote device.
Performa System Restore
Sometimes it is possible that you have tried all of the methods above, and you still get the “RPC server is unavailable” error. In this case, we suggest performing System Restore which reverts windows settings to the previous working state, Where the system Working without any RPC error.
Did these solutions help to fix the RPC server is unavailable on Windows 10? Let us know on comments below, Also Read
- RDP authentication error “CredSSP encryption oracle remediation”
- Remote desktop connection not working after windows 10 20H2 upgrade
- How to Delete or Clear Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10
- Laptop Battery draining fast in windows 10? Here how to fix
- How to Stop Windows 10 Apps From Running in the Background