Have you noticed Windows 10 running very slow or not responding to mouse clicks and System Idle process in task manager is taking 90+ of CPU usage? So you have a question on mind, what is the system idle process, and why it’s causing high CPU usage on Windows 10? Usually, System Idle Process is a system process, run in the background and measure how much amount of idle CPU time your computer currently has. And the high percent of CPU indicates that a large amount of processor power is not being used.
If you find that a system idle process is using a lot of CPU, don’t worry because the CPU resources used by the system idle process are CPU resources that are not being used.
How to Disable system idle process?
If you notice the system idle process on windows 10 using almost 90 to 100 percent of CPU leave it, it’s normal. But if you experiencing slower than usual performance, then it’s not the System Idle Process’s fault. It may be caused by a lack of memory, slow storage, or something else using up your computer’s resources. Here some of the effective solutions probably help find out and fix Windows 10 High CPU usage problem.
Pro Tip: Perform a full system scan with latest updated antivirus or anti-malware application to check and make sure virus malware infection not causing windows 10 High CPU usage problem.
Restart your computer
This is the first time you notice windows 10 100 CPU usage or the computer not responding? In such cause restart your computer probably a good solution that clear temporary glitch and fix basic problems that may be causing 100 cpu usage on windows 10.
Install windows update
Make sure the latest windows updates installed on your computer. Microsoft regularly releases windows updates with the latest security improvements and bug fixes previously reported by users. May the latest windows update has bug fix for this Windows 10 High CPU usage problem.
- Press Windows key + X then select settings,
- Go to update and security then hit check for updates button,
- This will check for available windows updates, then download and install them automatically.
- You need to reboot your computer to apply them, once done check the system idle process status.
Disable Startup Processes
Perform Clean Boot your computer that helps to find out if any startup program or service causing windows 10 High CPU usage or system idle process high cpu on windows 10.
- Press Windows key + R, type msconfig and click ok,
- This will open the system configuration window, Go to the services tab at the top of the screen,
- Checkmark on Hide all Microsoft services, (This will hide all Microsoft related services and leave third party service)
- Now click on Disable all, button present at the near bottom at the left side of the window.
- All third-party services will not disabled, Click apply and ok to save changes and reboot your computer.
Now windows 10 starts with only the necessary drivers for your device. Check the system idle process status it’s normal now, if yes then you need to enable these processes in a chunk and check which one causing your PC is slow.
Disable some process at startup
In addition, disable startup programs that may impact windows 10 startup time or causing windows 10 not responding at startup.
- Open task manager using Ctrl+Shift+Esc key
- Go to the startup tab, this will display all startup applications with their startup impact,
- To disable any application from startup you need right click on the application name then select disable,
- Do the same with all unnecessary applications and Close Task Manager window.
Checking Drivers for problem
There are chances, outdated incompatible device driver causing this problem. use RATT to create a log file to identify the problem driver. (Note: The RATT is an event tracing tool that Microsoft produced for developers) If you found any outdated driver there then update the same following steps below.
- Press Windows key + X select device manager,
- This will display all installed device driver list, Navigate through all of them until you find the driver which is causing the problem. (for example display driver)
- Expand display driver, right-click on installed driver select update driver,
- select the first option Search automatically for updated driver software and follow on-screen instructions to download the updated drivers from windows update.
- In addition, you can head over to your manufacturer’s site, download and install the drivers manually
- Note update all your drivers before restarting your computer. After restarting, check if the problem is solved.
Run system file checker utility
there are chances corrupted system files causing windows 10 freeze or not responding at startup or 100 CPU usage. Run the system file checker utility that helps restore missing system files with the correct one and help fix system idle process high cpu on windows 10.
- Open command prompt as administrator,
- type command sfc /scannow and press enter key,
- Let the scanning process complete 100%, once done reboot your system.
Did these solutions fix the system idle process high CPU or windows 10 100 CPU usage problem? Let us know on the comments below.
- How to Fix the Issue of High Memory Usage on Windows 10 Computer?
- How to fix Runtime Broker high CPU usage in Windows 10
- Solved: Windows 10 100 disk usage on startup (5 Working solutions)
- Service Host local System High CPU Usage Windows 10
- Fix the “Critical Process Died” Stop Code 0x000000EF in Windows 10