Finally, today (16/09/2020) Apple Inc has launched iOS 14 update for compatible iPhone and iPad touch models. Already apple official says You’ll need an iPhone 6S or later, the iPad Air 2 or later, and the new iPad mini 4 or later, or the iPod touch 7 th generation to get iOS 14 Update for free. Or we can say any device capable of running iOS 13 can run the latest iOS 14. And with the software update focusing on performance improvements Apple is recommending that all eligible users update to iOS 14.
Well, the new iOS 14 software update brings plenty of new features, including a redesigned Home screen with widgets, New App Library, App Clips, No full-screen calls, and more.
Also focuses on performance and quality improvements, And most importantly with iOS 14, everything is going faster, from unlocking with Face ID (30 percent faster) and app downloads will be 50 percent smaller and updates 60 percent smaller. Apps will launch twice as fast in iOS 14, and much more.
Though Apple focused on under-the-hood improvements for iOS 14, there is a long list of New features available with iOS 14 that makes this an impressive new version of iOS.
iOS 14 compatible devices
There is a long list of devices compatible with iOS 14. But, in a nutshell, it will support all iOS devices launched since 2014. The new 2019 iPhone 11 is also included in the list.
The iPhones that will run the iOS 14 are, iPhone 12 series, iPhone 11 series, iPhone X, iPhone XS, XS Max and XR, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6S and 6S Plus and iPhone SE.
And iPhone 5S (and older), iPhone 6/6 Plus, iPad Mini 2, iPad Mini 3, iPad Air (2013) won’t be compatible with the new iOS update. That means these devices not receive the latest iOS 14 update.
iOS 14 will be available for iPhone 6s and later models all the way to iPhone 11 pro and latest iPhone 12.
How to Update to iOS 14
The latest iPhone 12 series ship with iOS 14 pre-installed, but here we’ll take a look at how to install iOS 14 on older iPhones and iPads.
Prepare for iOS 14 Update on iPhone & iPad
- Most importantly Backup Device before the new update takes place
- Check and make sure your device compatible with latest iOS 14.
- Make sure sufficient storage available for the iOS 14 update
- Also, it’s a good idea to update all iOS apps on the device so that they are new and more likely to be compatible with the latest iOS release.
- Also make sure you have stable Internet connection or connect WiFi network to smoothly download iOS 14 update files from apple server.
- if your device’s battery is below 50 percent, you’ll need to plug it in to a charger during the update.
Bonus: Remember Your iPhone Password
Your phone will restart after you upgrade to iOS 14 and it might requires your screen passcode to unlock your iPhone. So please always remember your device screen password or you will be locked out of your device after installing the update. You should also remember your iCloud passcode and apple ID. In case of losing files after updating, you can restore files from your iCloud backup.
Backup Device before the new update takes place
You can choose to back up data on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch via iCloud — or via iTunes on a PC or Mac. Here follow the steps below to back up all your data before downloading the iOS 14.
- Connect your device to a Wi-Fi network.
- Open Settings, select your name and tap
- Tap iCloud Backup. (For those on iOS 10.2 or earlier, tap Backup).
- Also, make sure that the iCloud Backup is turned on.
- Tap Back Up Now.
You should also make sure to check the backup is completed. You can do this by opening Settings, tapping on your name, going to iCloud > iCloud Storage > Manage Storage and tapping on your device from the list.
If you choose to back up your device using a computer, you can use the built-in backup function via iTunes.
Here’s how to back up an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch using iTunes:
- Make sure your iTunes is updated to the latest version, open it up, and plug your iOS device in.
- Follow the onscreen steps if a message asks for your device password or to Trust This Computer.
- Select your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch when it appears in iTunes.
- You can save Health and Activity data from your iOS device or Apple Watch by selecting Encryptand creating a passcode.
- If you don’t want to save your Health and Activity data, you can just click Back Up Now.
After the process is done, you can check to see if the backup finished successfully by clicking iTunes Preferences > Devices(on a Mac) or Edit > Preferences > Devices (on a PC).
Download and Install iOS 14
The easiest way to get iOS 14 is to install it right on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch you want to update.
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- This will begin the process of checking for new updates on your iOS device.
- Once iOS 14 is available for your device, A notification about iOS 14 should appear and you can tap Download and Install.
- Tap Agree when you see Apple’s Terms and Conditions with respect to the new software package and its features.
- It can take a while, during which time you won’t be able to use your device, so tap Install Tonight or Remind Me Later if you want to postpone for a more convenient time.
Note: The speed of the download depends on how fast your Internet connection is. Further, it is worth noting here that you need a Wi-Fi connection to start the download process as Apple doesn’t allow iOS downloads over mobile data.
How to Fix Unable to Install iOS 14 Update Error?
- Tap on Settings > Enable Airplane Mode.
- Switch Off your iPhone.
- After 30 seconds or so, turn it back on and disable the Airplane mode.
- Next, try to update your iPhone as you would normally do by using Settings> General >Software Update.
Update iOS 14 using iTunes
If you prefer, you can download and install iOS 14 from your computer using iTunes. Here’s how:
- Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes
- Connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your computer.
- Open iTunes and select your device. In iTunes 14, you click the device’s icon in the upper-right corner of the iTunes window.
- Click Summary > Check for Update.
- Click Download and Update.
- Follow any on-screen prompts, such as selecting Next on the iPhone Software Update screen, and Agree on the terms that follow.
- The iOS 14 update process will begin immediately. Wait while iTunes downloads iOS 14 and install it to your iPhone or iPad.
Note Your device reboot during the iOS 14 upgrade, so don’t unplug it until it powers back on for good and iTunes shows that it’s fully updated.