Sometimes while working or playing games, you may notice windows suddenly freezes and restart with a blue screen error. For some others, Windows 10 frequently restart with BSOD error at startup. Especially after new hardware device install or Windows 10 1903 upgrade you may face BSOD error “Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We’re just collecting some error info, and then we’ll restart for you.” Here this post we have effective solutions, apply to fix Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Error on Windows 10, 8.1 and 7.
What is Blue Screen of Death?
The Windows 10 “blue screen of death” (BSOD), also known as a “STOP error” or “Bug Check”, is an infamous warning message about corrupt hardware, software, or drivers that force Windows to shut down. Or in simple words when Windows detects a malfunction in the system memory or drivers, it crashes itself and displays a BSOD error message. Here some common Windows 10 Blue screen error messages below.
Fix Blue Screen of Death in Windows 10
Now let’s look at the solutions apply to fix and prevent Windows 10 BSOD errors.
Whenever you face Windows 10 BSOD error the first step you have to disconnect all external devices. Because sometimes may new hardware device or its driver conflict prevent windows to run smoothly. Disconnect all external devices like printer, external HDD and restart windows. Check if this start windows normally. if yes find out the problematic device by attach them one by one and check the same with another computer.
Note: if after simple restart windows start normally (perform solutions below to avoid this error in the feature). But if, the blue Screen occurs frequently at startup, And unable to access login screen That causes you need to Boot Windows into safe mode. Where windows start with minimum system requirements and allow you to perform troubleshooting steps.
Perform Startup repair
But sometimes users report due to blue screen error they unable to boot into safe mode that causes you to need to perform startup repair that detects and fix the problem prevent windows to start normally.
To do this Insert the Windows 10 installation media To your PC and Boot from it (If you don’t have an installation media then create one following link.)
- Access BIOS setup by press Del key.
- Now move to the boot tab and change the first boot your installation media (CD/DVD or Removable Device ).
- Press F10 to save this will Restart windows press any key to boot from installation media.
- First Set the language preference, click next and click on repair Computer option.
- On next screen, Select Troubleshoot -> Advanced options and click on Startup Repair.
- This will analyze various settings, configuration options, and system files.
- After complete the repair process windows will Restart and start normally.
Safe mode from Advanced options
If the repair process results in startup repair couldn’t repair your PC or automatic repair couldn’t repair your PC
- Then click on Advanced options
- Then click Troubleshoot, Advanced options
- Startup Settings then Click on Restart
- Here press F4 To access safe mode and F5 To access safe mode with networking.
- Hope this time windows start in safe mode,
- Now on safe mode perform below troubleshooting steps, to fix BSOD errors.
Disable Fast Startup Feature
- Open Control panel,
- Search for and select power options,
- click on Choose What the Power Buttons Do
- Then click on Change Settings that are Currently Unavailable.
- Here uncheck Turn on Fast Startup option (recommended) to disable Fast Startup Feature.
Look If Device drives causing BSOD error
Mostly an inaccurately installed or defected driver can lead to system crashes. Download the latest drivers from your PC manufacturer’s website and install them – this may solve BSODs caused by driver issues. But if you notice after a recent driver update the problem started then you can perform rollback driver option to revert current driver to the previous version. Let’s see how to update or reinstall device driver on windows 10.
- Press Windows + R, type devmgmt.msc and ok open Device manager.
- Then expend display adapter,
- right click on installed display driver right click and select update.
- follow on screen instructions to let windows search and install the latest driver on your computer.
Note: if you are in safe mode you maybe not connected to the internet, where windows unable to do download latest driver form update database ).
That cause simply visit the device manufacturer website on the different computer and download the latest available driver for your problematic PC. For example, Let see how to reinstall display driver on windows 10.
- Move to problematic PC open device manager
- Expand display adapter,
- Right click on display driver and select uninstall.
- Click ok to confirm and restart windows.
- On next start install the latest driver you downloaded from the manufacturer website.
Roll Back driver
If you notice Windows 10 blue screen error started after a recent driver upgrade. That cause Roll back driver option is useful, that revert the driver to the previous version.
- Open device manager,
- Expand display adapter and double click on installed display driver.
- On properties move to driver tab, and click on Rollback driver option follow on-screen instructions.
- This will revert the current driver to the previous version.
- Restart windows and check there is no more Blue Screen error at startup.
Repair Windows System Files (Run SFC Utility)
Run the Windows system file checker utility that scan and detect various problems caused by corrupted, missing system files. And fix the problem if corrupt system files causing this windows 10 BSOD error.
- Open Command prompt as administrator,
- type command sfc /scannow and press the enter key,
- This will start scanning for missing corrupted system files.
- And If found any the SFC utility restore them from a special folder located on %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
- Wait until 100% complete the scanning process after that restart windows.
Check Disk Drive Errors
Again a problematic HDD Drive like Bed Sector or Disk error may Cause Different Blue Screen Errors on Windows 10. Run CHKDSK command that helps if disk drive error causing Blue screen error on Windows 10.
- To do this open command prompt as administrator,
- then type command CHKDSK C: /F /R /X and hit the enter key.
- Press Y key to schedule to run the chkdsk command on next start.
- close the command prompt and Restart windows
- This will start scanning and repairing process for Disk Drive Errors and problems.
- Wait until 100% complete the scanning process, after that windows restart itself and start normally.
Here CHKDSK command for Check Disk Driver. C: Letter is your Windows Installed drive letter. /F parameter Fixes errors on the disk. /R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information and /X Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary.
Run Memory Diagnostic Tool
Windows have a memory Diagnostic Tool Which Checks Memory Errors. We recommend running the memory diagnostic tool to make sure memory (RAM) related problems not causing the Blue Screen Error.
Sometimes some antiviruses like AVG, Avast is responsible for BSOD error. We recommend to temporally, remove installed antivirus/Anti-malware application and check problem fixed.
How To Avoid windows BSOD Error
- Always keep your windows updated and Make Sure your installed drivers are up to date.
- Shutdown your computer properly, and Don’t force your PC to shut down.
- Avoid installing pirated Software like Cracks, Activators, Nulled games etc.
- Always use the latest version of the Intel management engine interface and keep it up to date.
- Use disk defragment and disk cleanup regularly,
- Also, you can use third-party software like Ccleaner to optimize windows and repair corrupted registry entries.
Did these solutions help to fix Windows 10 Blue screen errors? Let us know on comments below, Also read:
- Laptop buying guide (What factors to consider when buying a new Laptop)
- How to fix mouse clicks not recognized on Windows 10
- Laptop won’t boot after update? Here how to fix windows 10 startup problems
- Fix DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN chrome error on Windows 10, 8.1 and 7
- Microsoft outlook 2016 Stuck on loading profile windows 10