Microsoft has recently released Windows 11 KB5017328, OS Build 22000.978 with security updates, quality improvements and bug fixes. However, some users report Windows 11 KB5017328 update fails to install or is stuck downloading at various points in the update process. So what causes Windows 11 update fails to download or install? Slow or unstable internet connection, system files are corrupted on your computer, the disk doesn’t have enough free space for updates or the windows update database corrupted are some common reasons behind this problem. Here in this post, we have a few working solutions apply to fix windows 11 update problems.
Fix Windows 11 update problems
Before moving forward, we recommend restart your computer and try to install windows updates again.
Check and make sure you have a stable internet connection to download windows update files from the Microsoft server. And disconnect VPN, if configured on your computer.
Free up some disk space
Again check and make sure the system drive has enough free space (at least a few gigabytes of space available on your PC’s C: drive ) to download and install windows updates.
To free up space on your system drive you can
- Uninstall larger software packages you don’t need
- Run a disk cleanup scan to erase junk files
- Move some files from C drive to a different drive or external storage
- Delete old downloads that are no more required
Disable security software
Sometimes third-party utilities such as antivirus may interfere or conflict with windows updates result this problem. To ensure third-party software isn’t causing any update issues, try temporarily disabling it before checking for updates in Settings. Or uninstall your third-party antivirus software following the steps below.
- Press Windows key + R, type appwiz.cpl and click ok,
- This will open the Programs and Features window, from here locate and select your antivirus software then click uninstall.
- Follow on-screen instructions to complete the process and restart your computer.
- Now check for updates again, hope this time there is no more windows updates stuck or fail to download
Check the Windows Update Service
The Windows Update is a service and its related services need to be enabled and running to download and install updates. If the windows 11 update fails to download or install you need to check the required services are running or not.
- Press Windows key + R, type services.msc and click ok
- This will open the windows services console, scroll down and locate the windows update
- Double click on windows update to open its properties, make sure startup type is set to automatic, And start the service next to service status (If the service isn’t running)
- Click on apply then ok to save the changes.
Do the same with other related services required by Windows Update are enabled and running
- Application Identity
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
- Cryptographic Services
Windows Update Troubleshooter
The windows update troubleshooter is a built-in tool designed specifically for detect and fix windows update problems. The troubleshooter won’t necessarily fix every windows update error but it can resolve quite a few update issues nonetheless. Let’s run the Windows Update Troubleshooter and let it detect the problems and fix it.
- Click on the start menu then select settings app,
- From the system tab select troubleshoot than other troubleshooters,
- This will display all available Windows 11’s troubleshooting tools there
- Locate the click on the run option for the windows update and follow on-screen instructions.
The windows update troubleshooter tool will open and automatically detect issues, and try to fix them if found any. Once done reboot your PC and check for updates again.
Run a System File Scan
There are chances windows update fails to install or apply because of corrupted system files. The system file checker utility is one of the best tools included in windows 11 for Scan and repair system files. Running SFC command-line utility verifies the integrity of system files and replaces corrupted ones. Let’s run the sfc utility and check if corrupted system files prevent windows 11 updates from install.
- Open command prompt as administrator
- First, run the Deployment Image Servicing command DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Next to initiate an SFC scan, type sfc /scannow and hit the enter key
- Wait for the SFC scan to finish and display an outcome within the Command Prompt
- Reboot your computer and check for updates again.
Reset Windows Update Components
Also, windows 11 update problems can often be due to corrupted windows update components. Therefore resetting windows update components and clear the update cache is another potential solution to fix windows update problems.
To reset windows update components and clear the update cache first we have to stop windows update and its related services.
Step 01- Stop windows update and its related services:
Press Windows key + S then type cmd, now right-click on command prompt select run as administrator. Now perform the following commands one after one to stop its related services.
- net stop bits
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop appidsvc
- net stop cryptsvc
Step 02- Clear windows update Database
Next press the windows key + E to open file explorer
Delete all files and folders inside the download folder, to do this press the Windows key + A to select all and hit the Del key.
Step 03- Start windows update and its related services
Now again open the command prompt and start the windows update and its related services by performing the following command.
- net start bits
- net start wuauserv
- net start appidsvc
- net start cryptsvc
And finally, open windows update and try to install the latest updates.
Clean Boot Windows
Still, windows update fails to install? Let’s start windows 11 in clean boot state that eliminates the possibility of startup software and services conflicting with the update process.
- Press Windows key + R, type msconfig and click ok to open the system configuration window,
- Select the radio button, selective startup and uncheck the checkbox for the Load startup option
- However, the Load system services and Use original boot configuration options should be selected there.
- Select Hide all Microsoft services on the Services tab shown directly below
- Press the Apply button, and click OK, then restart your computer.
- Now check for windows updates again.
Windows 11 KB50173289 offline installer
If the above solutions failed to fix the problem, still the windows 11 update failed or stuck download? In such situations, you need to download and install the latest update manually.
- Navigate to the official Windows 11 update Download page here,
- Search for the KB number of the security update that’s failing to install.
- Save the update file to your computer, and run it after it finishes downloading.
Did the above solutions help fix windows 11 update problems? Let us know on the comments below.
- A Proxy Vs. A VPN comparison and difference explained
- How To Fix Discord Screen Share No Audio (9 working solutions)
- How to fix GeForce Experience Black Screen Issue on Windows 10
- What To Do If Windows 10 Turns Black Screen While Playing Games?
- What is Web Security? Why is Website Security Important?