Microsoft regularly releases Windows updates and Feature updates (two times a year) to secure Latest Windows 10 operating system, regularly add bug fixes and add new features with feature updates. Recently the company has released feature update Windows 10 version 21H1 also know as May 2021 update in form of an enablement package. It’s small in size and the installation process will be instant like regular windows updates. But few users report, Windows 10 fail to install the version 21H1 update.
There are many reasons why Windows 10 21H1 update won’t install or windows 10 version 21H1 failed to install, and compatibility problems with existing software or hardware are most common. Again Lack of drive space, Corrupt update files, Hardware conflicts or Driver conflicts Also cause windows 10 update failed to install 21H1. If Windows 10 21H1 Update fails to download, or just refuse to get installed on your computer even when you try a couple of times apply the solutions listed below.
Windows 10 fail to install the version 21H1 update
If Windows version 21H1 fails to install, is not working, updates will not download or keep failing on your computer Here how to identify and troubleshoot the problem.
Let’s start with general fixes, first Unplug any nonessential hardware devices, include headphones, printers, scanners speakers, USB flash drives, and external hard drives. Restart your computer and check for updates again.
Uninstall third-party antivirus
Temporarily disable or uninstall third-party antivirus, And disconnect from VPN (If configured on your computer)
- To remove an antivirus application, go to Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features.
- Select the program, and then select Uninstall. Select Yes to confirm.
In addition, Outdated software/applications can cause problems so removing old or nonessential applications can help.
Free up disk space
You need enough space on your hard drive (C drive) for the Windows 10 version 21H1 installation to take place. Locate the This PC icon on your desktop double click on it. Look at the system installed drive (usually its C drive) has enough free space. If not then try clearing out everything you no longer need, or Move some data from desktop or download folder to external drive, and then attempt the update again.
Pro Tip: An error that begins with 0xC1900101 is usually a driver error. Make sure that your device has enough space.
Clean Boot Windows 10
There are chances, any third-party services or startup program prevents windows update download windows 10 version 21H1. Start your compute clean boot state and check for updates again that help install feature update without any error.
- Press Windows key + R, type msconfig and click ok,
- This will open the system configuration window, Go to the services tab,
- Click the checkbox next to Hide all Microsoft services then click Disable all.
- Now move to the Startup tab then Click Open Task Manager.
- Click any startup program you suspect might be interfering Click Disable.
- Click on apply ok to make save changes and reboot your computer.
Now press Windows key + S, type check for updates and press enter key.
Check if this time there is no more error install feature update Windows 10 version 21H1.
Use the Windows 10 troubleshooting tool
Windows 10 includes a troubleshooter app that can help fix different windows update problems itself. Running windows update troubleshooter, resets Windows Updates settings to defaults check windows update service and its related services are running. Also, the troubleshooter scans for and fixes problems prevent windows update download or install on your computer. Try running the troubleshooter, and see if the update can complete.
To run the Windows 10 update troubleshooter:
- Press Windows key + X then select settings,
- Go to update and security then Troubleshooter,
- Click on the Additional troubleshooter link,
- Now locate Windows update select it then click Run the troubleshooter
- Follow the on-screen prompts, once done restart your computer and check for updates or try to install windows 10 21H1 update.
Reset Windows update component
Running windows update troubleshooter typically clear old Windows Update files, including any potentially corrupt files or stuck downloads. But if you are still experiencing, windows 10 21H1 update won’t install or windows 10 feature update 21H1 failed to install try Manually delete your Windows Update files. And let windows update force download new update files from Microsoft server.
This is the most effective solution to troubleshoot Windows update problems on windows 10
- Press Windows key + R, type services.msc and click ok,
- This will open windows service console, scroll down and locate windows update service, right-click on it select stop,
- Now open windows explorer using windows key + E, and navigate C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
- Delete all files and folders inside the download folder, to do this Press the Ctrl key + A (to select all) then hit del key.
Don’t worry about these files, next time when you check for windows update this will download fresh update files from the Microsoft server.
- Again locate the windows update service on the windows service console, right-click on it select start.
- Now check for windows update and try install windows 10 version 21H1.
Use the System File Checker
Some of Windows 10 users reported that running system file checker utility or sfc scan fixed their issues with Windows 10 21H1 Update failing, getting stuck, or not installing.
System File Checker is a utility in Microsoft Windows that allows users to scan for and restore corruptions in Windows system files.
- Open command prompt as administrator,
- Type command sfc /scannow and press enter key,
- This will start scanning windows 10 for corrupted missing system files,
- If found any the sfc utility automatically replace them with correct one,
- Let the scanning process complete 100%, once done close the command prompt and reboot your PC.
In addition run the DISM command DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth.
Switch to Google DNS
Few windows users report, switching Google DNS help Install Windows 10 feature update version 21H1 without any error.
Press Windows key + R, type ncpa.cpl and click ok
This will open the network connections window, right-click on active network adapter select properties,
Locate and double-click on internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) to open its properties,
Select the radio button use the following DNS server address and set preferred DNS server 22.214.171.124 and Alternate DNS server 126.96.36.199.
Click on ok, Apply and ok to save changes and try check for and install windows 10 21H1 update again.
Update Windows 1021H1 using Update Assistant
Microsoft has official windows update assistant that makes it easier to download and install windows 10 feature updates on your device. If applying the above solutions dint fix the problem still windows 10 21H1 update won’t install or failed to install then use the update assistant to upgrade windows 10 version 21H1.
- Navigate to Windows 10 download site and click the Update now button to download windows update assistant.
- locate the download folder, right-click on Windows10Upgrade.exe and select run as administrator,
- Click Update Now to start the windows 10 21H1 upgrade process
- Let Windows finish the downloading and the verification
- Follow on-screen instructions once done restart your computer to apply the update.
Did above solutions help fix the windows 10 21H1 update won’t install, updates will not download or Windows version 21H1 fails to install? Let us know in the comments below.
- Install windows 10 May 2021 update Using media creation tool
- How to fix system idle process high cpu usage windows 10
- WiFi disconnects automatically after windows 10 update? Try these solutions
- Windows 10 update making everything slow and Unresponsive? Let’s speed it up
- Solved: Windows 10 BSOD video tdr failure (nvlddmkm.sys) Nvidia