Microsoft regularly releases Windows updates to patch security holes, with various bug fixes and Improvements. And with Windows 10 Updates are set to install automatically, Means whenever your device connected Microsoft server, Latest updates download and get installed automatically via windows update. But sometimes due to system file corruption, buggy update or problem with update cache folder, other applications conflict etc, cause Windows Update stuck checking for updates, Windows update stuck downloading for hours or Windows update failed to install with different errors like 8000ffff, 0x80070057, 80072ee2, 0x800f081f.
Microsoft well aware about this problem and has officially released Windows Update troubleshooting tool that clear the Windows Update related temporary files, clear the contents of the Software Distribution folder, repair and reset Windows Update components, check the status of Windows Update-related Services, check for pending updates and more.
Run windows update troubleshooter on windows 10
If you are experiencing problem while installing Windows Update, It fails with different errors, Run the Official windows update troubleshooter and let windows to fix the problem for you.
- Download Update Troubleshooter for Windows 10
- Download Update Troubleshooter for Windows 7 and Windows 8
First download the tool, right click and select run as administrator.
Click next, The troubleshooter will run and attempt to identify if any problems exist which prevent your computer from downloading and installing Windows Updates.
- Restart windows After complete the troubleshooting process.
- Now open Windows update and check for updates.
If windows update troubleshooter results “windows update components must be repaired” Not fixed. Try following steps below.
Update troubleshooter not working
If Windows Update troubleshooter not working for you, Still windows update stuck downloading or fails to install. Here some other solutions you may try.
- Disable Antivirus software and VPN (If installed or configured)
- Check and make sure you have a stable internet connection to download windows updates from Microsoft server.
- Your Windows installed drive C: have free space to install these updates.
- Start windows clean boot state and check for updates, this will fix the problem if any third party service confliction causing the problem.
- Run DISM and System file checker utility that help to scan and restore missing system files.
Reset Windows update components
- Press Windows + R, type services.msc and ok
- Scroll down and look for windows update service.
- Right-click and select Stop, Do the same with BITs and Superfetch service.
- Navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
- Open download folder, Press Ctrl+A to select all, Right click and delete them.
( Don’t worry about these files, these are update cache files, next time when you check for update windows download fresh update files for you)
- Now again open Windows service and restart the services, you previously stoped.
- To do this right click on Windows update service, right click select start.
- Close everything, and restart windows.
- Now open Windows update from settings, Update & Security and check for updates.
I am sure there is no more problem, windows updates download and install without any errors.
Did this help to fix windows update problems? let us know on comments, Also read
- How To fix WiFi disconnects automatically windows 10 1809
- Windows 10 ‘Patch Tuesday’ updates available for Download ( January 2019)
- How to find windows 10 product key using command prompt
- [How To] Disable Storage Sense In Windows 10 Using Group Policy editor
- How to Print pictures in different sizes windows 10